How to Apply

Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan

In order to apply for the Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan, students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) on for each academic year. On the FAFSA, applicants should list Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine’s school code G42186. In order to submit a FAFSA, students will first need to obtain a Federal Student Aid ID(FSA ID) from the Department of Education. According to Federal Regulations, students choosing to borrow their Federal loan eligibility are required to complete Entrance Counseling and a Master Promissory Note (MPN) at the initial time of borrowing and Exit Counseling once ceasing to be enrolled at VTCSOM (www. Currently, students are not required to submit parent information on the FAFSA. Some students may be required to submit additional documentation for verification purposes. VTCSOM priority deadline to submit the FAFSA is March 1st.

Please Note: For the 2018/2019 FAFSA, please include both VTCSOM’s school code G42186 and Virginia Tech's School Code 003754. If you do not include both school codes, VTCSOM will not be able to process your request for aid.

Direct Graduate PLUS Loan

To apply for the Direct Graduate PLUS Loan, students must have completed the FAFSA and are required to complete an application at All Graduate PLUS loan borrowers must complete a new application for each year they wish to borrow these loan funds. Once completing the Direct Graduate PLUS Loan application, students are required to sign Direct PLUS Loan Master Promissory Note (MPN). Students who have not previously borrowed a PLUS loan will also be required to complete Entrance Counseling. Students who have an adverse credit history will be required to obtain an endorser. To ensure timely processing and disbursement of the Graduate PLUS loan, students should apply no later than June 1st.

Private/Alternative Student Loans

Private/Alterative student loans are typically offered by banks, credit unions, and state agencies. Students will have to seek out a lender of their own liking. Students can borrow up to the cost of attendance minus any other financial aid received. All student loans must be certified by VTCSOM in order to confirm a student’s loan eligibility.

VTCSOM Endowed Scholarships

Current students may apply for VTCSOM Privately Funded/Endowed Scholarships by completing the scholarship application form by the established deadline each academic year. Students must submit an essay and information release form.

Virginia Tuition Assistance Grant

The Virginia Tuition Assistance Grant (VTAG) requires a separate application, available from the State Council of Higher Education for Virginia. Students will submit the completed application to VTCSOM’s Office of Financial Aid. Returning students will be required to complete a form verifying their domicile status on an annual basis.

PLEASE BE ADVISED: VTAG will no longer be available to VTCSOM students after the 2017-2018 academic year.

Service Scholarships

Students must apply directly to the military or the Public Health Service for these programs.

Health Profession Scholarships

Air Force Health Professions Scholarship
Army Health Professions scholarship
Navy Health Professions Scholarship
National Health Service Corps

National Health Service Corps Scholarship

Yellow Ribbon Benefits

Eligible students must first apply for benefits under the Post-9/11 GI Bill with the Department of Veterans Affairs. For more information about the Post-9/11 Bill and VA education benefits, please visit the website, or call 1-888-442-4551. Once a student receives their Certificate of Eligibility from the VA, they must bring the certificate to the Office of Financial Aid. VTCSOM will verify your eligibility and notify you on your total benefits and acceptance into the program.

Outside Scholarships

Students can search and apply using online search engines such as Please be cautious of scholarships with an application fee, scholarship matching services, sales pitches, and applications requiring sensitive personal information. Students are required to report all outside scholarships to VTCSOM. If you have been awarded any outside scholarships, please submit the Scholarship Reporting form.