Daniel P. Harrington, MD
Vice Dean, Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine
Professor, Psychiatry and Behavioral Medicine, Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine
Vice President for Academic Affairs, Carilion Clinic
Associate Dean-Roanoke, University of Virginia School of Medicine
Associate Professor, Psychiatric Medicine, University of Virginia
Professor, Psychiatry, Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine
The vice dean works closely with the dean, managing the daily administrative duties of the school and supports the work of the assistant, associate, and senior deans, faculty, and staff. The vice dean oversees the administration of the school in the dean’s absence and serves as the secretary to the Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine Board of Directors. The vice dean is a member of the Dean’s Leadership Team.
Dr. Harrington received his bachelor's degree in pharmacy and his medical degree from West Virginia University before completing a diversified medicine internship and a combined internal medicine and psychiatry residency at the University of Virginia in Charlottesville, Virginia. He was one of the first residents to complete a combined internal medicine and psychiatry program and is boarded by the American Board of Internal Medicine and the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology.
Following completion of his residency, Dr. Harrington remained at the University of Virginia where he was director of consult liaison and emergency psychiatry. In 1990 Dr. Harrington was appointed associate program director of the developing psychiatric medicine residency at Carilion Clinic in Roanoke, Virginia, and later served as program director of the combined internal medicine and psychiatry residency at Carilion Clinic. Dr. Harrington also served as program director of the psychiatric medicine residency and the combined internal medicine and psychiatry residency at the University of Virginia for several years in the mid-1990s.
In 2004, Dr. Harrington was appointed Carilion Clinic’s vice president for graduate medical education and was actively involved in the early development of the Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine. In 2008, he was named vice president for academic affairs and has helped develop new educational programs and research for the Carilion Clinic. Dr. Harrington also serves as senior associate dean for the Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine and will help develop clinical rotations for our students.
- Medical Education
- Depression in Elderly
Awards and Honors
- Alpha Omega Alpha National Medical Society - member since 1979
- Rho Chi National Pharmacy Honorary Society - member since 1974
- Distinguished Fellow American Psychiatric Association, 1996-2009
- Mental Health Association Volunteer of the Year, 2005
- Mental Health Professional of the Year, 1998
- Mental Health Association Exemplary Service Award
Education and Training
- Internal Medicine, University of Virginia Health Sciences Center: Residency
- Behavioral Medicine and Psychiatry: Residency
- Behavioral Medicine and Psychiatry, University of Virginia Health Sciences Center: Chief Resident
- Diversified Medicine, University of Virginia Health Sciences Center: Internship
- West Virginia University: MD
- West Virginia University: BS