Notice to Faculty
Dear VTCSOM Faculty,
The Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine recently received notice from the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME) that they have approved the change in governance structure. In December, the school submitted our intent to change the governance structure from an independent, non-profit institution to a college of Virginia Tech.
This favorable review from the LCME allows us to proceed with our integration plans, however, it is not the end of our journey. The LCME also notified us they will be coming to the school for a full site visit in October 2018, and we have to achieve several milestones ahead of that visit.
- Over the next year, our employees and faculty will work on our Data Collection Instrument (DCI), which consists of more than 90 elements that make up the 12 LCME standards that medical schools have to meet for accreditation.
- Meanwhile, an Independent Student Analysis (ISA) is being performed, collecting survey information from our students to analyze the school’s performance.
- Planning for the institutional self-study taskforce and its subcommittees will occur in May 2017. Faculty will be invited to participate.
- The school is required to submit the DCI, Executive Summary Report, and ISA to the LCME in Spring 2018.
- VTCSOM is on track to integrate into Virginia Tech as its ninth college on July 1, 2018.
- A mock site visit is planned for July 2018.
- In October 2018, the LCME will conduct a full site visit.
We are encouraged to receive this initial favorable review from the LCME on our planned integration, but it is vital that we keep up the hard work that must occur over the next year and a half to continue our forward progress.
Dean of VTCSOM