Mission and Purpose
In accordance with the Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine Diversity Policy to “maintain an academic environment characterized by, and supportive of, diversity and inclusion,” the Council for Diversity and Inclusion was formed to bring together faculty, staff, and students to recommend action to improve the teaching, learning, and working environment of the school from a diversity and inclusion perspective.
- To ensure that diversity and inclusion initiatives are integrated at every level of the organization
- To develop the diversity and inclusion vision, strategy, and execution plan
- To advocate policies that support an inclusive environment
- To promote cultural sensitivity and awareness
- To create a welcoming environment which celebrates diversity and fosters an inclusive environment at the school
- To recommend action predominantly within the school, in collaboration with the Community and Diversity Advisory Board
- To establish and implement metrics for measuring the impact of diversity and inclusion initiatives
The council membership is composed of interested Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine faculty, staff, and students. The dean and the associate dean for community and culture periodically review the council’s membership composition and select Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine faculty, staff, and students for appointment.
Members are expected to serve a minimum of a one-year term, with no maximum limit. Council members are appointed by the dean and the associate dean for community and culture. Current members may also nominate other Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine faculty, staff, and students for membership.