The M.E.D.S. Experience — Medical Exposure for Diverse Students.
In 2020, the Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine launched The M.E.D.S. Experience — Medical Exposure for Diverse Students. The program targets first-year Virginia Tech students who are members of groups underrepresented in medicine and are planning careers in medicine and research.
A primary goal of The M.E.D.S. Experience is to expand the students’ network and increase their awareness of opportunities in the health professions, with a specific focus becoming a physician. The weekend experience will include:
- Tour of Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital
- Overview of the VTCSOM application and admission process, and Early Identification Program
- Online MCAT (Medical College Admissions Test) overview
- “Stop The Bleed” Training
- First Aid Course
- Exposure to clinical experiences
The program is FREE, including all meals, course materials, transportation to and from Roanoke!
Target audience and eligibility criteria
- First-year students at Virginia Tech
- Students who are underrepresented in medicine, defined as:
- Racial and ethnic populations that are underrepresented in the medical profession relative to their numbers in the general population; at VTCSOM, those groups are African-American/Black, Hispanic/Latino, and Native Americans.
- Students from limited socio-economic backgrounds, first-generation college graduates and those with challenging experiences based on family, economic and social situations have a more limited opportunity to attend professional schools.
- Interested in a career in the health professions
- Must be in good academic standing.
- Applicants must have no past or pending student conduct violations.
Applications are due by Feb. 1, and acceptance decisions will go out Friday, Feb. 7.
Students invited to participate in the program must be actively engaged in all facets of The MEDS Experience over the course of a weekend.
- Friday night 6 - 8 p.m.
- Saturday 7:30 a.m. - 8 p.m.
- Sunday 8 a.m. - 12 noon.
Contact Karyna Nevarez at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions.