M.E.D.S. Experience 2022
Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine is pleased to launch The M.E.D.S. Experience--- Medical Exposure for Diverse Students. The program targets first, second and third-year Virginia Tech students who are members of groups Underrepresented in Medicine and are planning careers in medicine and research. A primary goal of The MEDS Experience is to expand the students’ network and increase their awareness of opportunities in the health professions, with a specific focus becoming a physician.
The weekend experience will include:
- Tour of Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital (COVID protocols permitting)
- Overview of the VTCSOM application and admission process, and Early Identification Program
- Online MCAT (Medical College Admissions Test) overview
- “Stop The Bleed” Training
- First Aid Course
- Exposure to clinical experiences
The program is FREE, including all meals, course materials, transportation to and from Roanoke!
Friday, March 4 - Sunday, March 6, 2022, at Virginia Tech in Blacksburg and Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine in Roanoke.
Target Audience and Eligibility Criteria
- Students who are Underrepresented in Medicine, defined as:
- Racial and ethnic populations that are underrepresented in the medical profession relative to their numbers in the general population; at VTCSOM, those groups are African-American/Black, Hispanic/Latino, and Native Americans.
- Students from limited socio-economic backgrounds, first-generation college graduates and those with challenging experiences based on family, economic and social situations have a more limited opportunity to attend professional schools.
- Interested in a career in the health professions
- Must be in good academic standing
- Applicants must have no past or pending student conduct violations
How to Apply
Application for the 2022 MEDS Experience. The selection committee reserved the right to interview students to determine program participants. Applications are due by Saturday, February 19, 2022, and acceptance decisions will go out Friday, February 25.
Students invited to participate in the program must be actively engaged in all facets of The MEDS Experience on Friday, March 4 at 6:00-8:00 PM; Saturday, March 5 at 7:30 AM-8:00 PM; and Sunday, March 6 at 8:00 AM-12:00 noon.
Contact Ms. Karyna Nevarez at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions.