Vision, Mission, and Values
The Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine will be the first choice of a diverse class of medical students who are seeking an educational experience grounded in inquiry, research, and discovery, set in a learning environment of interprofessionalism, and cultural competency.
To develop physician thought leaders through inquiry, research and discovery, using an innovative curriculum based upon adult learning methods in a patient-centered context. Our graduates are physicians with outstanding clinical skills and significantly enhanced research capabilities who will remain life-long learners. They have an understanding of the importance of interprofessionalism to enable them to more effectively function as part of a modern healthcare team.
- Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine values human diversity because it enriches our lives and the School. We acknowledge and respect our differences while affirming our common humanity. As caregivers and educators, we value the inherent dignity and value of every person and strive to maintain a climate for work and learning, based on mutual respect and understanding.
- Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine values the concept of patient-centered care, manifested in physicians who are receptive and expressive communicators, developing patient plans grounded in evidence-based medicine with an emphasis on safety, quality, professionalism, and cultural competency.
- Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine values the science of medicine and its application to the resolution of clinical problems, and the development of self-instruction skills that keep physicians informed regarding developments in medical sciences.
- Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine values continuous improvement of quality in its broad application to clinical care and to the development of new knowledge.
- Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine values communication, interpersonal skills, and interprofessionalism to make the healthcare system better for patients and all healthcare professionals.
- Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine values community service by providing service learning opportunities, encouraging students to see themselves as having the responsibility to improve the world around them.