Personal & Professional Wellness
Time and sleep management are critical elements of the medical education setting. Learn more about how you can improve your habits.
Mental & Emotional Wellness
Be proactive about your mental and emotional wellness. Find out more about strategies and the resources you have at VTC.
Staying active is an important part of wellness. Learn more about what you can do to stay active at VTC.
Learn more about what you can do to foster your academic wellness in the unique medical education learning environment.
Little things add up. Help yourself monitor and manage those little things. The future you will be thankful!
Learn more about student support resources and services as well as learning opportunities in the realm of inclusion, diversity, equity, and anti-racism.
Wellness Events Calendar
VT Hokie Wellness in partnership with the VTC School of Medicine, and the Roanoke Graduate Student Association.
Every Friday, employees and students of VTC receive this newsletter which includes recipes, tips, and wellness news.
Balancing work, family and personal needs can be challenging. This section gives ideas on how to develop one's personal wellness.
- 15 Scientific Ways to Relax
- Get Involved at VTC through Clubs/Orgs/Sigs
- Healthy Sleep
- Physician Thought Leader Communities (PTLC)
- SafeZone Team
- Time Management
- Title IX Support
- Helpful Resources
- 10 Ways to Build Resilience (Wellness Weekly topic 10/28/2016)
- Things to Do Around Roanoke
- 20 Ways to Pay It Forward Around Roanoke
- List of places to volunteer
- VTC Roanoke Favorites - a list of favorite hangouts, barber shops, activities, festivals, etc.
- VTC Staff: Employee Assistance Program & more
Depression and anxiety can interfere with our desire to perform at our best. Seeking help is often key to overcoming unhealthy thoughts or feelings. There are a variety of people and resources available to VTCSOM students.
- Counseling Resources
- Psychological Testing Services Providers
- Emergency After-Hours Support:
- Helpful Resources
- Self-Assessment Tool
- Off-Campus Provider Search Tool
- Virginia Tech Chapter of Active Minds
(Facebook | Twitter | Instagram)
- Preventing Medical Trainee Suicide
- Confronting Cognitive Distortions
- Surviving Residency & Beyond Podcast Series (Drs. Simonds & Sotile)
- Podcasts for wellbeing
- AAMC Well-being in Academic Medicine Website
- ACGME Well-being Website
- Mindfulness Resources
Taking care of our bodies fosters a variety of personal health elements. But, sometimes we all need a little help remembering our options.
- Primary Care Physicians
- Roanoke County Carilion Wellness
- Downtown, Roanoke Carilion Fitness Center
- Get the Facts Series By Adam Heilmann, Class of 2019
- Helpful Resources
- Check out past editions of the Wellness Weekly newsletter for lots of ideas
- VT Rec Sports
- VT Rec Sports Virtual
- VT Rec Sports Les Mills OnDemand Courses
- Home Fitness Ideas
- Tabata Interval Training
- CDC Guidelines for Exercise
- Recommended Article Promoting Regular Exercise by Medical Students
--- Dyrbye, L. N., Satele, D., & Shanafelt, T. D. (2016). Healthy exercise habits are associated with lower risk of burnout and higher quality of life among U.S. medical students. Academic Medicine : Journal of the Association of American Medical Colleges, doi:10.1097/ACM.0000000000001540 [doi]
Knowing and having easy access to our academic resources can help us perform optimally on our academic endeavors.
Feeling connected, supported, and a sense of belonging are foundational to academic success. To that end, please explore the services and resources in this section of the wellness website.
Diversity in Medicine Resources
- Academic Medicine December 2020 Supplement: Addressing Harmful Bias and Eliminating Discrimination in Health Professions Learning Environments
- Academic Medicine December 2020 Supplement
- VTC Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Resource List
Roanoke Community Connections:
VT Campus & VTC School of Medicine Resources:
- Hillel at Virginia Tech
- InclusiveVTCSOM Task Force
- Interfaith Program at VT
- Ombuds Office
- Services for Students with Disabilities
- The Women's Center
- VT Alumni Affinity Groups
- VT Alumni Multicultural Societies
- VT Community and Culture Centers
- VTC Resources for Learning, Working, and Wellness (access granted only to individuals with VT email addresses)
- VTCSOM Clubs, Organizations and Student Interest Groups
- VTCSOM Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
- VTCSOM Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Student Engagement Opportunities