Phase I: AMCAS Application
Applicants to the Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine must complete a primary application through the American Medical College Application Service (AMCAS). The AMCAS application portal opens in May. The VTCSOM primary application deadline is December 1.
Advice and tips for completing a strong application is provided at Applying to Medical School.
Phase II: Secondary Application
Secondary application invitations will be sent to a diverse body of learners who are likely to achieve academic success through our innovative medical curriculum and enrich our learning environment. To be considered for a secondary application in the 2020-2021 application cycle, candidates must have:
- A current MCAT (January 2018-September 2020) with a combined score of 503 or above
- A competitive undergraduate GPA
- Ability to meet the VTCSOM Technical Standards for Medical School Admission, Promotion, and Graduation (with or without accommodation)
- US citizenship or permanent residency
- At time of matriculation, an earned bachelor's (baccalaureate) degree from an educational institution located in the United States or Canada, and approved by a regional accrediting body
- No felony convictions
A complete secondary application includes short essay prompts, acknowledgement of pre-requisite requirements, receipt of letters of recommendation, and a $70 non-refundable application fee. A discounted rate is applied for candidates who qualify for the AAMC Fee Assistance Program (FAP).
Selected applicants will be notified by email and provided with a link to the school’s secondary application.
VTCSOM participates in the AMCAS Letters Service. We require a minimum of three letters but recommend four to seven. At least one recommendation should come from a science or math faculty member. Letters from a medical professional and a research mentor are strongly recommended. A pre-health advisor letter packet and/or committee letter may also be submitted.
A Complete Application
Applicants must have a complete application to be considered for an interview at VTCSOM. The minimum criteria that constitutes a complete package includes the following:
- Completion of the AMCAS online application with documented current MCAT scores
- Receipt of a completed VTCSOM secondary application
- Receipt of at least 3 recommendations or evaluations via AMCAS Letters Service
- No felony convictions
- A strong record of service, medical exposure, research experience, leadership and teamwork as outlined in the AMCAS and secondary applications.
Phase III: Interview
Interviews take place on the Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine campus, in Roanoke, Virginia, on six Saturdays throughout the fall and winter months.
The interview day includes a presentation on the curriculum, an overview and tour of facilities, a tour of Roanoke, meals, and the MMI. All interviewees should plan to be on campus from 7:45 a.m. until approximately 3:30 p.m.
Phase IV: The Acceptance Process
The Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine uses a rolling admission process and sends out acceptance notifications in late fall and early winter.
Some students not offered an initial acceptance will be notified that they have been placed in our active status pool. After April 30, the active status pool will convert to a wait list. An applicant may remain on the wait list until matriculation.
Once notified by email of acceptance, students have two weeks from the date of their acceptance letter to notify our Admissions Office of their decision. If an applicant accepts the offer of admission, a deposit of $100 will be required. Additionally, each accepted applicant will be advised that matriculation is dependent upon the school’s Terms and Conditions of Acceptance.
Accepted students and parents looking to pay the class-reservation seat deposit should visit the Class Reservation Fee Portal.
Terms and Conditions of Acceptance
- All acceptances, scholarships, and merit awards for the Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine are contingent upon satisfactory completion of all coursework, including the Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine premedical requirements. A grade of "C" may require a written explanation. A grade of "D" or below will result in a re-evaluation of the application. The required courses should not be taken pass/fail or credit/no credit.
- An earned bachelor’s (baccalaureate) degree is required completed in a satisfactory manner at an educational institution located in the United States or Canada, and approved by a regional accrediting body.
- AMCAS does not forward your final transcript. Your official terminal transcript giving all degrees earned from each institution you have attended must be sent to the Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine as soon as possible after completion of your academic program and no later than June 1.
- Satisfactory results of a criminal background check.
- Satisfactory completion of a drug screen.
- Your acceptance to the Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine may be rescinded if it becomes apparent that any materials submitted are fraudulent or deceptive. In addition, if you are a recipient of any institutional or legal action, such as a conviction under a University Honor Code or a court proceeding, you must notify the school immediately. Failure to notify may result in withdrawal of the offer or dismissal at any time during your academic program.
Materials necessary to accomplish these tasks will be sent to students holding a place in the class at various intervals before matriculation.