Virginia State Science and Engineering Fair
Important Student Information
Please download this Welcome Letter, which contains detailed information about registering and submitting your project to be viewed electronically by our judges.
We also suggest you download and review the 2021 VSSEF Project Materials Guidelines.
The fair will be conducted on April 10th, and winners will be announced on April 12th.
The Virginia State Science and Engineering Fair, founded in 1985, started out with a little more than 100 projects and has grown considerably to include participants from 12 regions across the Commonwealth.
More than 300 Virginia high school students participated in the 2019 State Science Fair, presenting more than 200 projects. More than 70 expert judges from higher education and businesses across Virginia volunteered their time. More than 250 students participated in the Virtual Virginia State Science Fair in 2020.
This year we expect between 200 and 250 exhibits to participate in the Virginia State Science and Engineering Fair from students who presented at their local and regional fairs. This regional fairs contributing to this year’s VSSEF are:
- Blue Ridge Highlands Regional Science Fair
- Central Virginia Regional Science Fair
- Fairfax County Regional Science and Engineering Fair
- Loudoun County Science and Engineering Fair
- Metro Richmond STEM Fair
- Northern Virginia Science & Engineering Fair
- Prince William-Manassas Regional Science Fair
- Shenandoah Valley Regional Science Fair
- Tidewater Science and Engineering Fair
- Virginia Piedmont Regional Science Fair
- Western Virginia Regional Science Fair
Thank you to our sponsors
Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine
Fralin Biomedical Research Institute at VTC
Virginia Western Community College
Virginia Tech College of Science