The associate dean for community and culture is responsible for community outreach and relations, international student electives, and assists in the development and implementation of the interprofessionalism curricular domain. The associate dean oversees outreach programs at the school, including art shows, guest speakers, and mini medical schools. The associate dean works with other individuals and groups at the school on diversity-related programs and initiatives, including outreach and pipeline programs.
Dr. Trinkle is an associate clinical professor of psychiatric medicine and Training Director of the geriatric psychiatry fellowship program at Carilion Cllinic-University of Virginia Roanoke Valley Program and medical director of the Center for Healthy Aging at Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital. He is the geropsychiatric consultant to the Geriatric Assessment Clinic at Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital, the League of Older Americans, and numerous nursing homes in the Roanoke Valley serves as chief of staff of the Department of Psychiatry at Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital.
Dr. Trinkle was elected vice mayor of Roanoke City Council in May 2006 and was appointed to serve on the Roanoke City School Board for the 2003-06 terms. He was elected vice chair of the Board for the 2005-2006 term. Gov. Mark Warner appointed him to the Virginia Department of Mental Health, Mental Retardation, and Substance Abuse Board in 2004. Previously, he served on the boards for the Virginia Alzheimer’s Registry and the Mental Health Association of the Roanoke Valley. Dr. Trinkle has served as president of the Psychiatric Society of Virginia and the Psychiatric Society of Southwest Virginia. He was president of the North Cross School Alumni board, the Blue Ridge Zoological Society Board (Mill Mountain Zoo), and was founding board member for the Grandin Theatre Foundation, a nonprofit organization that bought, restored and reopened an historic cinema in Roanoke.
Dr. Trinkle has published numerous articles in various medical and lay journals pertaining to the field of geriatric psychiatry. He is actively involved in teaching family practice and psychiatry residents and fellows, and University of Virginia medical students at Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital. He is active in community, governmental, and professional organizations in raising awareness of geriatric mental health needs and in gaining access to treatment for this population.
Dr. Trinkle is primarily a practicing geriatric psychiatrist whose professional focus is providing for the elderly mentally ill through a continuum of care model. He is actively involved in developing geriatric psychiatry consultative models that educate the community, families, and health care providers, and that meet the complex clinical needs of this patient population.
Awards and Honors
- Omicron Delta Kappa, 1992.
- Outstanding Young Man of America, 1990.
- Co-Winner, William Osler Essay Contest sponsored by the Departments of Surgery and Anatomy, University of Virginia Medical School.
- Recipient of recognition for honors criterion performance in psychiatry clinical clerkship, University of Virginia Medical School.
- Finalist, Gray Foundation Scholarship.
- Recipient, Gus Bladgen Scholarship/Lawn Room.
- Appointment, Curriculum 1 and Political and Social Thought Program.
- Member: TILKA, Z and Thirteen Society-Honor Societies.
Education and Training
- Geriatric Psychiatry, Northwestern Memorial Hospital: Fellowship
- Geriatric Psychiatry Elective, The Maudsley Institute of Psychology, London, England: Senior Resident
- Department of Psychiatry, Medical College of Virginia: Residency
- Psychiatry Categorical, Department of Psychiatry, Medical College of Virginia: Internship
- University of Virginia Medical School: MD
- University of Virginia: BA
- Associate Professor, Psychiatry and Behavioral Medicine, Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine
- Associate Professor, Jefferson College of Health Sciences
- Psychiatrist, Department of Psychiatry, Carilion New River Valley Medical Center
- Associate Professor, Psychiatry and Neurobehavioral Sciences, University of Virginia
- Geriatric Psychiatrist, Carilion Center for Healthy Aging
- Psychiatrist, Carilion Health System