The associate dean for clinical science - years 1 and 2 oversees the teaching of clinical skills in the first and second years of the curriculum, including the Longitudinal Ambulatory Care Experience (LACE). Major responsibilities include development of Phase 1 clinical science curriculum, standardized patient cases, and formative and summative assessments. The associate dean reports to the senior dean for academic affairs.
Dr. Tarin Schmidt-Dalton earned a bachelor’s degree in physiology at the University of Illinois and a medical degree from Southern Illinois University School of Medicine. She completed a residency in family medicine at Carilion Clinic and a faculty development fellowship in family medicine at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
Dr. Schmidt-Dalton joined Carilion’s family medicine faculty in 1999 as an assistant professor. She was named assistant professor of family medicine at Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine in 2008 and was the founding director of the school’s Clinical Science and Skills Domain for Year 1. In 2012, Dr. Schmidt-Dalton was named to her current position as assistant dean for clinical science years 1 and 2.
Dr. Schmidt-Dalton has given numerous presentations across the country and recently completed a 20-month funded Virginia Systems Improvement Project on the effects of a medical home learning collaborative on pediatric development screening.
She served as president of Blue Ridge Family Medicine from 2011 to 2012 and has completed medical mission trips to Brazil and Bolivia.
Awards and Honors
- Virginia Association of Family Physicians Teacher of the Year, 2012
- Fellow of the American Academy of Family Physicians, 2011
- Family Medicine Attending Physician of the Year, 2001
- Administrative Chief Resident, 1997-98
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society, 1995-present
Education and Training
- University of North Carolina: Family Medicine Faculty Development Fellowship
- Roanoke, VA: Carilion Family Medicine Residency Program
- Family Medicine, Carilion Clinic: Administrative Chief Resident
- Southern Illinois University School of Medicine: MD
- University of Illinois : BS
- Associate Professor, Family and Community Medicine, Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine
- Assistant Director, Family Practice Education, Carilion Health System
- Assistant Director, Carilion Family Practice Residency Program
- Assistant Professor, Family Medicine, University of Virginia School of Medicine