Douglas J. Grider, MD
Vice Chair, Basic Science Education
Education and Training
Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Bethesda, MD M.D.
Pacific Lutheran University: B.S.
Fellowships and Residencies
- Fellowship, Dermatopathology, Armed Forces Institute of Pathology, Washington, D.C.
- Fellowship, Hepatic and Gastrointestinal Pathology, Armed Forces Institute of Pathology, Washington, D.C.
- Fellowship, Anatomic Pathology, Wilford Hall USAF Medical Center, Lackland AFB, TX
- Residency, Anatomic and Clinical Pathology, Wilford Hall USAF Medical Center, Lackland AFB, TX
Dr. Grider advises VTCSOM medical students about the discipline of pathology and pathologist careers. He is the founding and current dermatopathology director for the VTCSOM dermatology residency, and pioneered the integration of pathology into the VTCSOM Gastroenterology and Hepatology Fellowship.
Dr. Grider is well known for teaching and mentoring students and trainees at all levels of experience and education. As a strong advocate for a multidisciplinary approach to the best medical care, he often participates in tumor boards, advisory committees and a bimonthly inflammatory bowel disease conference. He is an Ad Hoc reviewer for the journal Inflammatory Intestinal Diseases and British Medical Journal Case Reports. He has a special interest in cutaneous manifestations of internal diseases, various skin and gastrointestinal syndromes, the genetic basis for colon cancer, Barrett esophagus and inflammatory bowel disease.
- Associate Professor, Department of Basic Science Education
Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine
- President and Managing Partner
Dominion Pathology Associates
- Dermatopathology, Site Director/Faculty
Dermatology Residency, Carilion Clinic & Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine, Roanoke, VA
- Assistant Professor
Department of Internal Medicine, Pathology, Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine, Blacksburg, VA
- Gastroenterology and Hepatic Pathology, Site Director/Faculty
Gastroenterology and Hepatology Fellowship, Carilion Clinic & Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine, Roanoke, VA