Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
We commit to being a continuous learning organization that recognizes diversity, equity, inclusion, and cultural competency as essential to excellence. While affirming our common humanity, we expect our learners, staff, and faculty to be sensitive to and respectful of the inherent dignity and worth of each individual in our community. We embrace innovation in the pursuit of a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment that values open expression and mutual respect so that all may thrive.
Pathways to health care careers
Pathways for K-12
Pathways for undergraduate students
TEACH June 2023 Education Grand Rounds
Teaching Excellence Academy for Collaborative Healthcare (TEACH) is a community of educators, fostering their development as teachers, learners, and education researchers.
TEACH's June 2023 Education Grand Rounds was:
Promoting an Anti-bias and Inclusive Curriculum: Concrete Tools Toward Excellence in Education and Clinical Care
Presented by: Hetty Cunningham, MD
The presentation objectives were:
Upon completion of this activity, participants will be able to:
- Identify ways that inclusive curricula can bolster learning and clinical care
- Name concrete methods to avoid transmission of bias in clinical practice and bedside teaching
- List diagnostic and teaching tools for skin of color
Faculty and staff may download resources from the presentation and request a link to the video through TEACH.
Celebrations and Observances in August
- 1: Lughnasadh, marks the beginning of harvest season
- 1: Fast in Honor of Holy Mother of Jesus
- 6: Transfiguration of the Lord (Feast of the Transfiguration)s.
- 13–15: Obon (Ullambana)
- 13: Black Women’s Equal Pay Day
- 15: Assumption of Blessed Virgin Mary
- 15: Dormition of the Theotokos
- 15: India Independence Day
- 17: Marcus Garvey Day
- 21: Khordad Sal (Birth of prophet Zoroaster)
- 23: International Day for the Remembrance of the Slave Trade and its Abolition and the anniversary of the uprising in Santo Domingo
- 26: Women’s Equality Day
- 30: Raksha Bandhan
- 30: Hungry Ghost Festival
Initiatives and resources
Opportunities for engagement
Faculty & Staff
About Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion at Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine
It has been said we learn the most from those with whom we have the least in common. Diversity enhances any learning experience and fosters a free exchange of ideas from different perspectives. That is why the Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine embraces inclusion and diversity among its faculty, staff, and students. The school actively promotes an environment of inclusiveness and mutual respect within its doors as well as in the broader community. Its commitment to celebrating individual differences enhances its powerful, thought-provoking learning environment.
The school’s diversity policy includes students who are underepresented in medicine, First-generation college students and socioeconomically disadvantaged backgrounds, also known as distance traveled.
Community, Culture and Diversity Calendar
VTCSOM has received the HEED Award 2018-2021.