Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
We commit to being a continuous learning organization that recognizes diversity, equity, inclusion, and cultural competency as essential to excellence. While affirming our common humanity, we expect our learners, staff, and faculty to be sensitive to and respectful of the inherent dignity and worth of each individual in our community. We embrace innovation in the pursuit of a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment that values open expression and mutual respect so that all may thrive.
Community, Culture and Diversity Calendar
General ItemDean's Diversity Champion Award
The Dean’s Diversity Champions Award recognizes significant achievements of faculty and students toward developing a more diverse, equitable, and inclusive community. View and read more about the 2021-2022 Diversity Champions.
Virginia Tech's Professional Development Network
Virginia Tech's Professional Development Network offers numerous courses related to inclusive practices and is open to all Virginia Tech staff and faculty with a VT PID. View the course calendar.
Diversity and Inclusion Notes
- The video recording for Ruining Dinner: Religion as the Silent Diversity, a diversity, inclusion and belonging event held in April, is now available on the VTCSOM website.
- Holidays and observances in the month of May:
- Asian Pacific American Heritage Month
- Older Americans Month
- Jewish American Heritage Month
- Mental Health Awareness Month
- 1: Beltane
- 3: Feasts of Saints Philip and James
- 4: National Day of Prayer
- 5: Cinco de Mayo
- 17: International Day Against Homophobia, Transphobia, and Biphobia
- 18: Ascension of Jesus or Ascension Day
- 18: Global Accessibility Awareness Day
- 19: Malcolm X Day
- 21: World Day for Cultural Diversity for Dialogue and Development
- 23–24 (sundown to sundown): Declaration of the Báb
- 26: Buddha Day (Vesak or Visakha Puja)
- 26-27 (sundown to sundown): Shavuot
- 28: Pentecost
- 29: Ascension of Bahá’u’lláh
- 29: Memorial Day
Initiatives and resources
Opportunities for engagement
Pathways to health care careers
About Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion at Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine
It has been said we learn the most from those with whom we have the least in common. Diversity enhances any learning experience and fosters a free exchange of ideas from different perspectives. That is why the Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine embraces inclusion and diversity among its faculty, staff, and students. The school actively promotes an environment of inclusiveness and mutual respect within its doors as well as in the broader community. Its commitment to celebrating individual differences enhances its powerful, thought-provoking learning environment.
The school’s diversity policy targets three underrepresented groups:
- African American, Hispanic, and Native American populations;
- First-generation college students; and
- Socioeconomically disadvantaged backgrounds, also known as distance traveled.
Virginia Tech Principles of Community
Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine is a college of Virginia Tech. As such, the school adopts and practice these Virginia Tech Principles of Community as fundamental to our on-going efforts to increase access and inclusion and to create a community that nurtures learning and growth for all of its members.
Medical school recognized by INSIGHT into Diversity magazine for fourth straight year
Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine recognized by INSIGHT into Diversity magazine 2020
Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine recognized by INSIGHT Into Diversity magazine
Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine receives diversity award