The curriculum at the Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine is rigorous and at times it is helpful to receive guidance from another student who has successfully journeyed through the material. Therefore, VTCSOM has a tutoring services program for all students to utilize as needed.
- Tutoring services are free to the student receiving support.
- Tutors are paid an hourly rate by VTCSOM.
- Tutoring services are confidential. Only the students involved in the tutoring relationship as well as the Director of Academic Counseling and Enrichment Services (ACES) are informed.
For Students Needing a Tutor
- Students who find that they are in need of additional assistance can request to be paired with a tutor. Tutors are primarily 2nd and 3rd year students, hired by VTCSOM, to support students in whatever way the student needs. Tutors can review block topics, quiz students and provide guidance toward appropriate breadth and depth of block content.
- Students who are interested in having a tutor should contact Emily Holt Foerst, Director of Academic Counseling and Enrichment Services.
For Students Interested in Becoming a Tutor
- VTCSOM is interested in hiring 2nd-, 3rd- and 4th-year students as tutors.
- Students interested in becoming a tutor should contact Emily Holt, Director of ACES
- Students who are hired by VTCSOM to serve as a tutor will be paid $25.00 each hour they work with their assigned student.
- There is a fall tutor orientation session new tutors are asked to attend so they may receive tips & tools for their tutoring role.
Group Tutoring Sessions
- M1 students have the option to attend weekly group tutoring sessions
- Sessions are led by a current M2 peer tutor
- Sessions are every Wednesday at 5:00pm in M211
- Sessions are free