Peer Educator Program
The curriculum at the Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine is rigorous and at times it is helpful to receive guidance from another student who has successfully journeyed through the material. Therefore, VTCSOM has a tutoring services program for all students to utilize as needed.
- Peer educator services (i.e., tutoring) are free to the student receiving support.
- Peer educators are paid an hourly rate by VTCSOM.
- Most peer support is in small groups. In the event, one-on-one support, service is confidential. Only individuals with a need to know are informed.
For Students Needing a Peer Educator
Students who find that they are in need of peer academic support can request to be paired with a peer educator by contacting the Director of Academic Counseling and Enrichment Services (ACES). Peer educators are M2, M3, and M4 students, employed by VTCSOM. Peer educators can review block topics, quiz students and/or provide guidance toward appropriate breadth and depth of block content.
For Students Interested in Becoming a Peer Educator
- VTCSOM is interested in hiring 2nd-, 3rd- and 4th-year students as peer educators.
- Students interested in becoming a peer educator should contact the Director of Academic Counseling and Enrichment Services (ACES).
- Peer educators will receive an orientation and training.
Peer Support Sessions
- All students have the option to attend weekly peer support sessions.
- Sessions are led by a current M2, M3, or M4 peer educator.
- M1 sessions are held every Wednesday at 5:00pm.
- M2 sessions are held twice per block.
- All peer support sessions are free and optional