The curriculum at the Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine is rigorous and at times it is helpful to receive guidance from another student who has successfully journeyed through the material. Therefore, VTCSOM has a tutoring services program for all students to utilize as needed.
- Tutoring services are free to the student receiving support.
- Tutors are paid an hourly rate by VTCSOM.
- Tutoring services are confidential. Only the students involved in the tutoring relationship as well as the Director of Academic Counseling and Enrichment Services (ACES) are informed.
For Students Needing a Tutor
Students who find that they are in need of peer academic support can request to be paired with a tutor by contacting the Director of Academic Counseling and Enrichment Services (ACES). Tutors are M2, M3, and M4 students, hired by VTCSOM, to support their peers in learning and applying medical content. Tutors can review block topics, quiz students and/or provide guidance toward appropriate breadth and depth of block content.
For Students Interested in Becoming a Tutor
- VTCSOM is interested in hiring 2nd-, 3rd- and 4th-year students as tutors.
- Students interested in becoming a tutor should contact the Director of Academic Counseling and Enrichment Services (ACES).
- There is a fall tutor orientation session new tutors are asked to attend so they may receive tips & tools for their tutoring role.
Group Tutoring Sessions
- All students have the option to attend weekly group tutoring sessions
- Sessions are led by a current M2, M3, or M4 peer tutor
- Sessions are every Wednesday at 5:00pm in M211
- Sessions are free