Oral Health Program
The Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine is one of the few medical schools that incorporates oral health into its instruction. Thanks in large part to a $1 million endowment made possible by a gift from the Delta Dental of Virginia Foundation, a comprehensive oral health curriculum is a major component of the education received by students at the VTC School of Medicine.
Another, more recent gift from Delta Dental awarded the school $100,000 to start a new pilot program to promote integrated oral health care exams and fluoride varnishing for young children in local doctors’ offices.
Oral health has been a focal point of the medical school since it's inception with the help of an earlier gift from Delta Dental that, among other programs, established an annual public lectureship to highlight integral links between oral health and overall health.
The endowment has allowed the medical school to expand this program by providing for clinical training as well as lectures on general oral health, oral cancer, common pathologies, and oral manifestations of systemic disease.
Thanks to the expansion and continued improvement of the oral health curriculum, students will be able to identify and treat oral diseases before they can contribute to increased risks of conditions such as heart disease, diabetes, oral cancer, and pregnancy complications.
Stories about our Oral Health Program
- Clinicians, dentists, nurses, and advocacy group collaborate to change Virginia law and promote fluoride varnishing for young children
- 2018: Delta Dental of Virginia Foundation awards VTC School of Medicine $100,000 for pilot program
- 2017: Aspiring family practice physician enrolls in Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine’s first oral health clerkship
- 2016: Leading expert in medication-related jaw deterioration to present at Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine
- 2015: Leading expert in head and neck cancer to present at Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine
- 2014: Leading proponent in oral health education to present at Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine
- 2013: Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine receives endowment for innovative oral health program
- 2013: Delta Dental of Virginia Oral Health Lecture to tackle controversies around preventive antibiotics