Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan

In order to apply for the Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan, students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for each academic year. In order to submit a FAFSA, students will first need to obtain a Federal Student Aid ID (FSA ID) from the Department of Education.

According to Federal Regulations, students choosing to borrow their Federal loan eligibility are required to complete Entrance Counseling and a Master Promissory Note (MPN) at the initial time of borrowing and Exit Counseling once ceasing to be enrolled at VTCSOM (www.StudentLoans.gov.)

Currently, students are not required to submit parent information on the FAFSA. Some students may be required to submit additional documentation for verification purposes. We recommend that students complete the FAFSA by March 1st, to ensure that the information is successfully transmitted to VTCSOM.

Please Note: For the 2018/2019 FAFSA, please include both VTCSOM’s school code G42186 and Virginia Tech's School Code 003754. If you do not include both school codes, VTCSOM will not be able to process your request for aid.

Direct Graduate PLUS Loan

To apply for the Direct Graduate PLUS Loan, students must have completed the FAFSA and are required to complete an application at www.StudentLoans.gov. All Graduate PLUS loan borrowers must complete a new application for each year they wish to borrow these loan funds. Once completing the Direct Graduate PLUS Loan application, students are required to sign Direct PLUS Loan Master Promissory Note (MPN). Students who have not previously borrowed a PLUS loan will also be required to complete Entrance Counseling. Students who have an adverse credit history will be required to obtain an endorser.

Private/Alternative Student Loans

Private/Alterative student loans are typically offered by banks, credit unions, and state agencies. Students will have to seek out a lender of their own liking. Students can borrow up to the cost of attendance minus any other financial aid received. All student loans must be certified by VTCSOM in order to confirm a student’s loan eligibility.

VTCSOM Endowed Scholarships

Current students may apply for VTCSOM Privately Funded/Endowed Scholarships by completing the scholarship application form by the established deadline each academic year. Students must submit an essay and information release form.

Service Scholarships

Students must apply directly to the military or the Public Health Service for these programs.

Air Force Health Professions Scholarship
Army Health Professions Scholarship
Navy Health Professions Scholarship
National Health Service Corps

Yellow Ribbon Benefits

Eligible students must first apply for benefits under the Post-9/11 GI Bill with the Department of Veterans Affairs. For more information about the Post-9/11 Bill and VA education benefits, please visit the website, or call 1-888-442-4551. Once a student receives their Certificate of Eligibility from the VA, they must bring the certificate to the Office of Financial Aid. VTCSOM will verify your eligibility and notify you on your total benefits and acceptance into the program.

Outside/External Scholarships

Students can search and apply using online search engines such as FastWeb.com. Please be cautious of scholarships with an application fee, scholarship matching services, sales pitches, and applications requiring sensitive personal information. Students are required to report all outside scholarships to VTCSOM. If you have been awarded any outside scholarships, please submit the Scholarship Reporting form.