To start the conversation about provider wellbeing in your section or department, we recommend starting with a simple process that aligns with the idea of "4th Aim Continuous Improvement."
The process would look like this:
- Survey your group as to the top 3 stressors in their professional day. You could use Survey Monkey to do this anonymously to provide confidentiality.
- Collate and report the survey results to the group.
- Make a plan to begin addressing the greatest stressors and let this be known to the group. Remember, you don't have to "solve" them to make a difference. For example, while all of the stressors surrounding the electronic health records may not be eliminated, steps can be taken to address specific aspects of the EHR that a group finds most stressful.
- Keep the lines of communication open regarding progress. Set a "what by when" goal for your initial interventions.
- Once you have made inroads in the "top 5," resurvey (brief!) to see what the next stressors are. Some stressors may be the same or may shift, even over a few months given the volatile/dynamic world of healthcare we're presently practicing in.
Please contact us if we can provide additional guidance.