The associate dean for clinical science - years 3 and 4 is chair of the Block Integration Committee-2 and oversees the clinical components in the third and fourth years, including clerkships and electives. The associate dean reports to the senior dean for academic affairs.
Dr. Tracey Criss received her bachelor’s degree in chemistry from Southern College and her medical degree from the West Virginia University School of Medicine. She then completed a psychiatry residency at Northeastern Ohio Universities College of Medicine/Akron General Medical Center. She also completed a mini fellowship in electroconvulsive therapy (ECT) at Zucker Hillside Hospital in Great Neck, NY. She is board certified by the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology. In 2018, Dr Criss completed the national Carol Emmott Fellowship for women leaders in healthcare.
Dr. Criss has been a member of the medical staff at Carilion Clinic since 1995 when she returned to her hometown of Roanoke and joined the department of psychiatry. She has been involved in medical education throughout that time, including the education of medical students, physician assistant students, and residents with her work in Carilion Clinic's inpatient, outpatient, consultation, and ECT services. In addition to patient care, Dr. Criss has a special interest in medical staff governance and is the Vice President of Medical Staff Affairs and Credentialing at Carilion Medical Center.
- Stress in Medical Students
- Curriculum development
Honors and Awards
- Nancy C. A. Roeske, MD, Certificate of Excellence in Medical Student Education. Awarded by American Psychiatric Association, 2017
- Named to “Top Docs list” by the Roanoker Magazine, 2017, 2015, 2013, 2011, 2009, 2007
- Virginia Tech Carilion Psychiatry Residency Program Faculty Teaching Award, 2011
- Physician of the Year, Psychiatry Department, Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital, 2002
Education and Training
- Carol Emmott Fellowship
- Northeastern Ohio Universities College of Medicine/Akron General Medical Center: Residency
- West Virginia University School of Medicine: MD
- Southern College: BA
- Associate Professor, Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Medicine, Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine
- Vice President of Medical Staff Affairs and Credentialing, Carilion Medical Center