Christopher A. Pierce, MD, FAAP
Interim Co-Chair, Pediatrics
4040 Postal Drive
Roanoke, VA 24018
Education and Training
- Vanderbilt University Children’s Hospital: Internship and Residency
- University of Virginia: MD
- Virginia Tech: BS
- Associate Professor, Department of Pediatrics, Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine
- Chief, General Pediatrics, Department of Pediatrics, Carilion Children’s
- Medical Director, Pediatric Clinic, LIFT Center at Fallon Park Elementary School
- Director of Ambulatory Laboratories, Carilion Children’s
Dr. Pierce joined Carilion in 2001 as a general pediatrician. He was active in transitioning the practices to Carilion Clinic and establishing the presence of VTCSOM in the outpatient pediatric offices. His leadership as Chief of General Pediatrics has been instrumental in establishing Carilion Children’s Tanglewood Center (opened September 2021) as the anchor for pediatric care for the region. He is proud and honored to be on faculty and serve as interim chair for his alma mater, Virginia Tech.
The department consists of outpatient services at Carilion Children’s Tanglewood Center – the comprehensive pediatric outpatient center housing more than 18 specialties, three additional general pediatric offices, three school-based clinics, as well as multiple subspecialty satellite clinics providing care for the region. Inpatient services include comprehensive pediatric hospital and critical care units supporting a level 1 pediatric trauma center and one of the largest neonatal intensive care units in the state.