Thomas K. Miller, MD
Vice Chair, Orthopaedic Surgery
2331 Franklin Rd SW
Roanoke, VA 24014
Education and Training
- Hughston Sports Medicine Clinic: Fellowship, Arthroscopy/Sports Medicine
- University of Pittsburgh, University Health Center Hospitals: Residency, Orthopaedic Surgery
- University of Pittsburgh, University Health Center Hospitals: Internship, General Surgery
- University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine: M.D.
- Bethany College: B.S.
- Associate Professor, Orthopaedic Surgery, Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine
- Orthopaedic Sports Medicine, Orthopaedic Arthoscopy & General Orthopaedic Surgery, Carilion Clinic Orthopaedics
- Medical Director, Carilion Community Ambulatory Surgery Center
- Medical Director, Roanoke Ambulatory Surgery Center
- Assistant Professor of Medical Specialties, Orthopaedics , Virginia College of Osteopathic Medicine
- Clinical Associate Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery, Instructional Faculty , University of Virginia-Roanoke Program
Dr. Miller focuses his specialty interest and training on non-operative sports medicine, arthroscopy and knee and shoulder reconstruction with particular interest in ligament reconstruction of the knee, shoulder instability, rotator cuff dysfunction and articular cartilage restoration.
As an extension of his sports medicine practice Dr. Miller has most recently been appointed to the Ironman Global Medical Board and has served as:
- Team orthopedist for Virginia Military Institute since 2006 and Southern Virginia University since 2010
- Medical staff member of Ironman Triathlon World Championship event since 1990
- Chief Race day physician at Ironman since 2015
- Member of the USOC medical staff (Lake Placid)
- Team physician for the U.S. national triathlon team at their World Championships and Goodwill games
- Medical Director for USA Triathlon for 15 years
- Physician for the MLB Class A affiliate (Pittsburgh, Colorado, Houston, Boston) in Salem, VA from 1995-2010.
He also collaborated on the USAT and ITU guidelines for event medical services, drafted the USAT guidelines for wetsuit use and has served on the USAT swim collar task force
His society memberships include:
- The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgery (with Specialty Certificate in Orthopaedic Sports Medicine)
- Virginia Orthopaedic Society (Board of Directors, President Elect)
- Arthroscopy Association of North America
- American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine
- USOC Sports Medicine Society