Humanism in Medicine Club
Dr. Rebecca Pauly
What is humanism in medicine?
- Seeing people as people
- Empowering and advocating for others
- Being a part of someone's journey, not just their illness
- And a whole lot more.
- MLK Day of Service – we partner with a local service organization to help give back to our Roanoke community
- Schwartz Center Rounds – a multi-disciplinary ethical discussion held every 3 months at CRMH that focuses on the daily ethical dilemmas faced by physicians, nurses, students, and healthcare workers of all types
- Ethics Night – a yearly event where we gather to discuss a medical ethics topic with an expert speaker on the subject; last year’s topic is “Medical Futility and Inappropriate Care”
- Coffee Hour Ethics – intimate discussions of medical ethics topics in small groups with a physician facilitator
In November, 2022, the Humanism in Medicine Club, in partnership with the Group on Women in Medical Science, the OBGYN Special Interest Group, and Medical Students for Choice at VTC, invited Dr. Arthur Caplan to speak at the seventh annual Humanism and Ethics event.